• December 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Nov    

As per new immigration policy, what happens when you get laid off while on an H-1B?

The policy is that the H1-B is designed for you to be in the country on a temporary employment basis. If that opportunity ceases to exist then you have to make a decision: you can either find new employment as soon as possible or you have to leave the country. There isn’t a set time limit, but it’s best to complete a transfer to a new position as soon as possible. However, there are opinions (not law) that indicates that 30–60 days is a good time frame to focus on when it comes to trying to find new employment. There just isn’t a true time limit here which can be particularly confusing for people. Basically, you should try to find a new job that will sponsor your visa sooner rather than later. In some cases, you may even be eligible for a different type of visa based on your education, experience, and long-term goals.

However, keep in mind that your previous employer is responsible for paying for your return home so you shouldn’t be stranded in any case.

If you’d like some additional help—check out LawTrades. We can provide access to immigration attorneys that can readily answer your questions and provide counsel. Let us know if we can help! Good luck.