• Search
    Generic filters
    Exact matches only
    Filter by Custom Post Type

Can I change my H1B status to L1A?

It’s possible to change from an H-1B to an L-1A provided that you meet the qualifications:

  • You must have a qualifying relationship with a qualifying foreign organization.
  • You must have worked for your employer for a certain length of time. The length of time is determined by a couple of different factors.
  • You must be taking an executive or managerial position for that employer or one of its qualifying organizations. As a manager, you must be supervising and controlling the work of other employees.
  • Your employer must be willing to submit the proper form (Form I-129), along with the appropriate fee.
  • All L-1A employees have an initial stay of three years although requests for an extension (two years for each time) can be made for a total of seven years. Others have told you about the H-1B time counting toward that seven years.

I’m not entirely sure that your technical duties will matter since this visa involves managerial tasks (which I’ve mentioned above). I’m not sure that an L-1A or B is your option. I’d recommend that you talk with an immigration attorney before you discuss the possibility of switching. LawTrades is a legal marketplace that gives entrepreneurs like you affordable access to top on-demand attorneys. We also have a new service called Micro, which allows you to ask one of our attorneys a questions and you’ll receive a personalized answer within 48 hours – for a low flat rate. Hope this helps!