How can I get a work permit in the US?

As a software engineer, you would be seeking an H1B visa which is a nonimmigrant, temporary work visa. It will allow you to work in a specialty occupation (software engineering included) for a specified period of time, provided that you meet certain education requirements. I will outline the multi-step process here, but I would suggest that you hire an immigration attorney to help you through it.

First, you will need an employer to sponsor you. If your current employer won’t sponsor you then you may need to find a new one because your prospective employer will need to file a petition on your behalf to the US Department of Labor. The petition will establish your qualifications so it will contain things like job description, your education, your potential wages, and other things of that nature.

After your petition is approved, then you actually begin the application process and you will need to fill out a visa application. Depending on your home country, you may find one online or you may have to go to the nearest US consulate.

When you finish your application, then you will need to gather and prepare any other necessary documentation. Things like a passport, application fees, and your approved petition are some examples of what is needed at this stage. Again depending on your home country and what type of visa you are seeking, the requirements may vary so it would be helpful for you to create a checklist here.

Finally, there will be an interview at your nearest US consulate. The interviewer will want you to tell them why you are qualified for such visa and then make a determination whether you are qualified and if so, for which visa you qualify. After the interview there will generally be a wait and review process that could take a few months so you will likely have to wait on the results.

Again, I suggest that you hire an immigration attorney to help you get a US work permit. An immigration attorney will have experience with the visa process and will be able to guide you through the steps that you need to take to be successful. If you are looking for an immigration attorney or still have questions about getting your work visa, you should visit LawTrades where we will match you with an experienced attorney for a free consultation.