• December 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Nov    

Can a non-US citizen apply for a provisional application for a patent in the US, UE, or Japan as an inventor?

Yes – inventors seeking to apply for a provisional patent need not be U.S. citizens. In fact, between 1975 and 2014, 28% of all patents granted derived from foreign countries. There are some important things to point out regarding a foreign applicant:

  • The inventor is typically required to sign the oath or declaration for U.S. patent applications, unlike some foreign countries.
  • If the application is a foreign application made through the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), the U.S. filing date would be the filing date of the PCT application or U.S. application, whichever is sooner. For example, an Austrian application was filed February 1, 2009, the PCT application was filed September 1, 2010, and the U.S. application was ultimately filed on December 1, 2011. The U.S. filing date would be September 1, 2010.
  • Some countries, like China, require inventors to obtain a foreign filing license for all inventions completed in their country before inventors may seek patent protection in foreign countries.
  • If the provisional patent application fails to describe all that is claimed in the eventual non-provisional application then the material added in the non-provisional may not rely on the provisional filing date.
  • Foreign applicants may be represented by any patent attorney licensed to practice before the USPTO.
  • Applying for a provisional patent application in the U.S. can be done by mail, or electronically.

Please feel free to check out LawTrades for affordable and on-demand provisional patent filings completed by experienced patent attorneys. Because inventors have needs specific to their respective product, we customize services and pricing to fit your budget. Feel free to message me with any legal questions you have specific to your company and/or invention.