• Get in Touch*

Can one change a J1 visa to an H-1B visa?

Generally speaking, yes.

If it is the start of a new fiscal year and you are within the cap of an H-1B visa, then you can apply for it. If your employer is exempt from the cap then you can apply anytime.

However, the tricky part comes if your J1 has the two-year residency requirement. If it does, then you must live in your home country for two years before applying for the H-1B. If you have this requirement, then you could apply for a waiver. If approved, the waiver would essentially revoke the need for you to move to live in your home country for two years.

For questions such as this, you may be interested in LawTrades newest feature, Micro. Basically, for a low, flat rate (usually $25) you can submit a question and receive a thorough, customized response that is specific to your exact situation. Let us know if we can help!


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.