• October 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Sep    

Is there any legal way for international students on F-1 visas to incorporate and run their own startup while maintaining the F-1 visa status?

There are some strict rules in place when it comes to F-1 visa holders and your employment status. Here are some things to keep in mind:

  • You are unable to work off-campus during your first year academic of F-1 status.
  • After the first year, you can work off-campus under one of the following scenarios:
    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    • Optical Practical Training (OPT)
    • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM

However, the above only answers part of your question. Essentially, while you are under F-1 status you are unable to work for your company unless it is directly related to your field of study in which case you can be classified as OPT. You must also be in OPT status before you can start your company.

You want to be sure that you follow the proper guidelines so that you don’t step outside the requirements for your visa, but can also continue with your business endeavors. An immigration attorney can help make sure that you don’t make any missteps in the process.

We can help. LawTrades offers access to top immigration attorneys that can help you dissect the visa process and ensure you are doing everything within the confines of the law. Our professionals provide quality legal services at an affordable rate and for your convenience, we extend flexible payment options. Contact us to start your free consultation.