• December 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Nov    

How long after getting my H1B should I wait before asking my employer to file for a green card?

I would suggest starting as soon as possible because the wait could be longer than the length of your H1B. Of course first you want to make sure that your employer is willing to file for a green card on your behalf. But as soon as you know that they are willing, you should begin the process. In other words, there is no real reason to wait other than not wanting to annoy your employer.

When you do feel like you are ready to start, I would suggest that you speak with an immigration attorney. The green card process can be tricky and an experienced immigration attorney will be able to guide you through it.

If you are looking for an immigration attorney, check out LawTrades. The attorneys on our marketplace have experience with the green card process and have helped many others through it. The initial consultation is free and all projects are backed by a satisfaction guarantee. We also have another feature called LawTrades Microwhich might interest you. For a low flat-rate (typically $25) you can ask one of our experienced attorneys a question and receive a customized answer within 48 hours. Hope this helps!