• February 2020
    M T W T F S S
    « Jan    

Do people with doctorates meet the requirements to get a US Green card for EB1-Extraordinary Ability?

The short answer is that yes, people with doctorates may meet the requirements, but their education alone will not get them approval.

The only stand-alone requirement for the EB1 is if you are the recipient of a major, internationally recognized award such as the Nobel Peace Prize. Other than that, you must meet at least 3 out of 10 of the requirements which have been repeatedly outlined in various other answers. Plus, you also have to identify how you will use your special talents in the US once you gain approval. If you fail to identify with at least 3 requirements, then you simply do not qualify under this particular option.

You do have other options, however.

For example, you may be able to obtain a Green Card if you have family ties in the US and they are able to sponsor you. Or, you may also be able to gain it through a Green Card lottery for employment if you can find an employer that is also willing to sponsor you.

Based on the information you have provided, you may be eligible for the EB2-Advanced Degree Professional. Eligibility criteria consists of: 1) you are a professional holding a U.S. master’s degree or higher or foreign equivalent degree that relates to the field you will be working in; or (2) you have a U.S. Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent degree and at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in your field after receiving your Bachelor’s degree.

It would be a good idea to seek the advice of an immigration attorney to best answer your question. LawTrades specializes in connecting clients with skilled attorneys. Our immigration attorneys work with a variety of visa applications and can help you understand the process in simple terms. Our rates are affordable and our process is simple. Contact us today for a free consultation.