What are the requirements for a special talent visa or green card?

You have a few options here for a special talent visa. First, like you mentioned, the EB1 and EB2 visas are permanent, immigrant visas for individuals with extraordinary abilities. Both of these are subject to a quota set by US Congress each year with the EB1 having first preference while the EB2 is second preference meaning that the wait time may be longer for the EB2.

EB1 — you will need to show that you have an “extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim” by providing evidence. You will need to show as many of these things that you can:

  • A lesser national or international award (evidence of a major award like Pulitzer, Oscar, Olympic Medal, etc. will automatically qualify you)
  • Membership in an association that demands outstanding achievement by its members
  • Judging works as part of a panel
  • Your contributions to the field (including any published materials like articles, journals, or public displays)
  • Your critical roles in distinguished organizations
  • Your high salary in relation to others or any other evidence that shows your commercial success from your art

EB2 — Here, the standard is a little more lax, you will only need to show an exceptional ability in the arts. Exceptional ability means “a degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered in the sciences, arts, or business.” again, the EB2 is second preference so the requirements are not quite as demanding as the EB1 above. Here you can show:

  • Relevant academic degree
  • Letters documenting your experience of at least 10 years
  • License or certification to practice
  • Membership in an association
  • Recognition of your achievements

As you can see, the big difference is the higher standard imposed on the applicant for an EB1. The simple explanation is that a more qualified individual will be more likely to receive a visa and that is evidenced by the two having different preference categories.

I hope I answered you question but I would suggest that you speak with an immigration attorney to determine your best options and to make sure that you can qualify. If you are looking for an experienced immigration attorney, visit LawTrades. Our immigration lawyers have immense experience helping foreign individuals secure the visa that’s right for them. The initial consultation is free and there is no obligation to retain the attorney after the consultation. Good luck!