• October 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Sep    

How do I transfer a J1 visa to F1?

It’s very possible to transfer a J1 to an F1. 

Here are some things to keep in mind:

  • You must be able to prove that you have the necessary funds to afford tuition and other living expenses while in the US (if you have a spouse and dependents, you must also prove that you are financially prepared for their living expenses as well).
  • You must provide proof that you plan to return home after the completion of your studies.
  • You must apply for a transfer of visa. You can do this by either a.) traveling to your home country and working through the process with a local consulate or b.) submit an I-539 Application to the USCIS.

Of course, the directions are somewhat vague and open for interpretation. That is why you should consult an immigration attorney to help you through the process. At LawTrades we connect clients just like you with the best attorney to suit your needs. Our rates are affordable and our communication is second to none. Check out our website and get in touch with us if you’d like to set up a consultation.