• Search
    Generic filters
    Exact matches only
    Filter by Custom Post Type

Is there a way to change your green card category from EB-2 to EB-1 without going back to India or doing a PhD in the USA?

It’s unclear your reasoning for wanting to make the change if you’re already started the green card process. 

These are the qualifications for each category:


EB-1 is a prestigious employment-based green card. To qualify, you must meet one of the following:

  • Extraordinary achievements in science, art, business education, or athletics.
  • Outstanding researcher or professor
  • Executive or manager


To qualify, you must fit into one of the two following categories:

  • Must obtain an advanced degree (at least a Master’s).
  • Possess exceptional ability in your field.

You don’t specifically need a PhD to get either of these types of green cards, but in certain situations it could be beneficial. If you are mid-process, you should certainly consult an attorney before you make any changes that may influence your processing time or approval.

LawTrades is happy to connect you with an immigration attorney that can help answer your questions and offer insight into the process. Our lawyers are among the best in the field. Please take a look at our website and let us know if you’d like to set up a consultation.