An angel investor wants to invest $100k in my startup, but he wants me to move to the US. How can I stay and work there?

Honestly, the best advice is to speak w/ an immigration lawyer to determine your options. Each category of visa serves a specific purpose so each category will have unique requirements. An experienced immigration attorney will know the relevant factors and will be able to advice and help you with the visa process.

The E2 visa allows the investor and any key employees of a company to work in the US on their company provided that they are a citizen of a country that has signed a relevant treaty with the US. Clearly you are a key employee since it is your company, so if you can meet the other requirements, you may qualify for an E2. It may depend on how much $$ you can contribute. Generally, an E-2 applicant must put up at least 50% of the initial capital. Thus, I suggest that you don’t give up on the E2 and look further into whether or not you qualify.Your other visa options may be pretty limited because most employment visas require specialty skills and education so you would have to meet that requirement before you could get one of those.

Again, an experienced immigration attorney will know the relevant factors and be able to advise you on your best options. Further, the attorney will then be able to guide you through the process and help you with all of the filing and applying. If you are looking for an experienced immigration attorney to help you understand your visa options then I invite you to check out LawTrades. Our legal platform offers free 20 minute consultations & flat-fee pricing. Good luck!

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment