• February 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Jan    

Is it bad to get 1099 K from Airbnb when you are on an H1b visa?

Although you’re supposed to exclusively work for the employer that filed a I-129H form and acquired the H-1B on your behalf, it’s debatable if you’re “working” for Airbnb. Also, individuals on H-1B are generally allowed to participate in “passive” activities. Take a look at IRS publication 925, which addresses Passive Activity:

“There are two kinds of passive activities.

  • Trade or business activities in which you do not materially participate during the year.
  • Rental activities, even if you do materially participate in them, unless you are a real estate professional.”

There are a bunch of requirements for what is considered a “rental activity” though. As most have already suggested, it’s probably in your best interest to speak with an immigration attorney. You can do that at LawTrades (full discl. = I’m the CEO). Many visa holders turn to the immigration lawyers on our site for sound and affordable on-demand legal advice. Good luck w/ everything.

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment