• June 2018
    M T W T F S S
    « May    

Once I Finish 6 Years on H-1B Visa Can I Apply for Another New Term?

Yes, if you were in the US for a total of 6 years – not including business travel days or vacations abroad – then you’ll be required to leave the US for at least one year.

Here are some exceptions that might help you:

  • You have a labor certification that was filed more than 365 days ago that’s been approved AND a pending I-140 (“Green Card”) petition – you’re eligible for a seventh year
  • Your employer filed a labor certification that’s been pending for 365 days – you’re eligible for a seventh year
  • Your I-140 petition was approved – you’re eligible for a three-year extension no matter how long your labor certification has been pending

There are a limited number of other exceptions, so you’re best route is to consult with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer who can help move you skillfully through the process. This is a great investment in yourself since a qualified attorney can add significant value by achieving a more productive and economical result for you.

By the way, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin accepting new H-1B quota based visa applications on April 1, 2016. The earliest date to start work on those visas will be October 1, 2016. As a reminder, the cap on regular H-1Bs remains at 65,000 and at 20,000 for US Master Degree H-1Bs.

User Review
0 (0 votes)


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment