Can I get a green card after living in the US for over 10 years?

If you are here and did not follow the legal process to enter the United States, there is a “Cancellation of Removal.” It is used in Immigration Court proceedings to stop deportation. If it is granted, you would be given a green card by the judge. However, if you’re not involved in a proceeding in immigration court, this won’t do you any good. You’d also have to meet other criteria as well:

  • You must prove you’ve been here for at least 10 years and that you were served papers for an immigration proceeding.
  • You must be of good moral character during those 10 years. Common good moral character issues include problems with the law, not paying your taxes, and committing fraud of some kind.
  • You must show that deportation would cause exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to your spouse, parent, or child that is present in the U.S.

It would be prudent for you to talk with an immigration attorney about this matter. If you are involved in an Immigration Court proceeding, an attorney can help you. Even if this isn’t your situation, an immigration attorney may be able to give you some options. If you’d like to ask an immigration attorney, consider LawTrades. We are a legal marketplace that makes it easy for people to connect and work with on-demand, vetted attorneys. We also have a service called Micro that allows you to ask an experienced attorney a question and you’ll get a reply within 48 hours. Hope this helps!

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment