Can a green card holder stay more than 1 year outside the US without a re-entry permit?

No. The point of a green card is that you plan to live in the US full time. 

The funny thing about visas and green cards, is that it all boils down to intent. If you plan to be outside the US for more than a year, then your intent doesn’t seem to be a permanent US resident. It may be more appropriate in this situation to consider a less permanent option, like maybe a tourist visa.

To learn which option is right for you, consider talking to an immigration attorney.LawTrades is happy to connect you with a highly skilled immigration attorney that is available to answer your questions and offer real guidance about which choice is the most ideal per your exact situation.

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment