• February 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Jan    

How can I start a company with an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number)?

Thank you for your question! I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that you cannot start a company with an Individual Tax Identification Number. The IRS only issues this nine-digit number to individuals who do not have a valid Social Security number, foreign nationals that have tax reporting requirements, and U.S. resident aliens with tax reporting requirements as well as their spouses.

The good news is that you do not have to be a U.S. citizen to form a corporation in the United States and can easily procure an employer identification number from the IRS online as long as (1) the business is in the United States, (2) you have an individual tax identification number (which it sounds like you do!), and (3) only need one employer identification number per day. I hope this helps!

Finally, keep in mind that if your business is a sole proprietorship or LLC, you do not need an employer identification number. An individual tax identification number will do.

Need assistance forming your corporation? The corporate attorneys at LawTrades can walk you through the process at an affordable flat rate. Message me for more details.

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment