How do I go about opening up a Marijuana Bar in CO or WA?

As cannabis laws continue to change in both Colorado and Washington, the best thing to do is to make it a point to stay in the loop about changes in the laws.

Let’s look at Colorado first. Although retail establishments can get a license to sell marijuana and marijuana-based edibles, there are some caveats. Of course, only people who are 21 years old or older may enter the establishment or purchase from the establishment. However, currently, State of Colorado’s Marijuana Retailers & Home Growers webpage states that retail marijuana and edibles must either be used for privately. Even in certain legal locations, those areas cannot be open or accessible to the public. Additionally, the website also states that marijuana “social clubs” and “coffee shops” are not allowed. So, as of July 2017, it would be fair to say that the idea of opening a marijuana bar in Colorado has to remain just that: an idea. Yet, who knows what the future may hold as the laws continue to change.

So, what about Washington State? As of 2015, marijuana clubs are illegal. Loopholes that once enabled these clubs to operate have been closed. With that being said, though, it can be difficult to know how these laws will change and whether something similar to a marijuana bar or private club may be allowed in the future.

If you’re interested in becoming involved in the cannabis industry as a business owner in either state, it would be a good idea to speak with a lawyer who has experience in this area. Through LawTrades, you can speak with a cannabis attorney who has vast experience in the space. State and federal laws conflict about cannabis and state laws can be vague. Thus, it’s really important to get legal guidance. That’s where we can help 🙂 Good luck!