Finding the perfect lawyer for your startup is a huge time sinker. But it goes without saying that solid legal representation is essential to keeping your startup operating smoothly and avoiding some of the early stage pitfalls.
First let me say, I’ve had some success starting 2 internet startups along with spending countless hours navigating all the startup legal issues.
Currently, I’m helping 100’s of startups get all their legal stuff done with.
Alright, now that we have the experience out of the way, let’s get it on.
Finding the best lawyer for YOU and YOUR company is quite subjective. A lawyer who did awesome work for the Uber for laundry startup, may not be the perfect fit for your internet company. That’s why it’s really important to trust your instinct.
Input from family are friends are great but sometimes can be unreliable. While expertise and years of experience are important, if you don’t feel comfortable with the person, or can’t envision yourself having confidential conversations with them, then you probably have the wrong lawyer/law firm.
Whilesolves the problem of finding a qualified startup lawyer whenever you need it, it would be hard to recommend one of our amazing lawyers without learning more about you and your business (professional chemistry totally matters!).
So instead here are 2 points, IMO, can be considered attributes of a rockstar startup lawyer in LA:
1. Price & Quality
- A highly efficient $300/hour lawyer will end up costing less than a $150/hour inefficient lawyer.
- Remember, you hire a person, not a firm. You may retain the finest firm in the land but every firm has great lawyers, good lawyers and some that are neither. You only get the lawyer you hire.
- It’s important to understand your lawyer’s fee structure. Hourly rates continue to be the most common way to bill and are still the best measure for certain types of matters. But clients should also explore alternatives such as fixed, capped, contingent, hybrid and premium-based fee arrangements.
- It’s always nice to meet lawyers who is already well rooted in the LA tech community! They may share the same startup passion you have and provide you with warm introductions to the right investors.
- Startup lawyers should strategize with your company to create long term value that is focused around growth and risk management. The lawyer should help you organize your startup in a manner that is realistic and is tailored to your market. They should help with essentials like finding the best location and finding the right connections in the industry.
Other than that, check out some great free legal resources for startups here:
And you may want to read this:
in order to avoid getting…
Best of luck with your venture! When you’re ready to talk with a startup lawyer then be sure to hit up🙂 We’re open 24/7 for any questions/comments you may have!