I am a green card holder in the USA. I would like to sponsor my husband to the USA. How long will it take?

Yes, as a green card holder you can petition for certain family members to also be able to immigrate to the US. The family members you can petition for include:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21
  • Married son or daughter of any age

Since you are interested in applying for your spouse, then you would need to do the following:

  • File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • Provide proof that you have a green card
  • Provide adequate proof of your marriage (such as with a marriage certificate)

As other answers touch on, special conditions may apply considering your specific situation. For example, if you or your family member are in the U.S. military.

As far as the length of time is concerned, the relationship you have with the person impacts preference classification. The preference classification for a spouse is Second Preference (2A). Because family-based visas are offered on a quota-basis there can be a considerable wait time that can vary.

It’s important that you fill out the proper paperwork and include all necessary documents. An immigration attorney can help you. LawTrades offers access to skilled immigration attorneys that can help you streamline the process as much as possible. We offer transparent, fixed rates and flexible payment options to suit a variety of budgets. Contact us today for more information.

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk

1 Comment

  • Ahmed Hegazy
    If my sister is a native-born US citizen, and I'm interested in getting a green card (i'm currently not in the US), how can I do it through family? And is there any way I can speed up the immigration process so that it takes months instead of years (as I've heard it might take)

Leave a comment