I had an H1B visa that I think was cancelled by the sponsoring company when I resigned. Can the same visa be renewed?

According to USCIS, H-1B visas are capped at 65,000 per year and it is highly unlikely that you’ll avoid the lottery process. In fact, if you’ve met the six-year cap from your last H-1B, you’ll have to wait for a year outside of the U.S. before you begin the application process again (with an employer to support the petition). As of 2017, medical doctors get some preferential treatment for H-1Bs, but that’s about it.

With an H-1B visa, the worker to whom it is issued can only stay in the U.S. for up to six years with that visa. Your expiration date is Oct. 2009. It was issued in Jan. 2008. So, 2014 would have been six years after the issue date. If you were in the U.S. for that entire six-year period, then you’ve met that cap.

Now, let’s talk about the specifics of an H-1B. The company for which you plan to work (originally) sponsored the petition and it was approved. You came to the United States because you agreed to work for that company. Then, you resigned. If you’re not going back to work for them, then no. You cannot “renew” or “revive” it (and it is outside of that six years I mentioned above). Any employer would need to complete the petition on your behalf.

If you’d like to talk with an immigration attorney about the H-1B visa or maybe look at other potential options, check out LawTrades. We are a legal marketplace that puts people into direct contact with vetted, quality immigration attorneys. Not only do our attorneys complete legal projects at transparent flat-fees, but we also offer a service called Micro. For a low flat-rate (usually $25), you can ask one of our attorneys a question about your situation and you’ll receive a customized answer within 48 hours. Hope you give us a visit!