How long can I stay in the US considering my H1B was approved after I lost my job and my employer hasn’t revoked it even after a few months?

You are considered “out of status” the moment that you no longer have employment. It is in your best interest to find a new employer that is willing to file a new H1-B visa on your behalf. It has been reported (although not verified) that USCIS will overlook small gaps in employment, but this is not something you should rely on. Instead, you should work quickly to find new employment. If you are unable to do so, your previous employer is required to pay for your return flight home to ensure that you are not stranded in the US.

If you would like assistance with this process, you should consult an immigration attorney. LawTrades is happy to connect you with a seasoned immigration attorney that can help you identify the best solution for your situation. We offer affordable rates and flexible scheduling to better suit your needs. Check out our website to learn more.

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment