• November 2018
    M T W T F S S
    « Oct    

What might I tell a former employer who wants me to sign a separation agreement that I don’t want to sign? Though not stated explicitly, my employer is making it sound like my final paycheck is contingent upon my signing.

I think with all situations it’s fair and even amicable to say that “I prefer not to sign documents without the guidance of an attorney.” It’s a little suspect that they are using bullying tactics to get you to sign. As others have indicated, your pay check is not a bargaining chip—you are legally owed that money. And you are correct, you should not take on any unnecessary liability.

Not only would I tell them that you aren’t going to sign until an attorney looks it over, I would suggest that you actually hire an attorney to have a look at it. You could even have your attorney call them and indicate that you aren’t going to sign the document until he/she has the opportunity to review it with you.

LawTrades can connect you with a quality lawyer. We offer affordable flat-rates and flexible payment solutions. Check out out our website to learn more about our knowledgeable attorneys and the services that we offer. Good luck!

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment