• February 2019
    M T W T F S S
    « Jan    

Startup Visa: Can I create a website to host a service if I am on an H1B status?

Probably not. With an H-1B visa, you are obligated to work just for the employer who petitioned for your visa. Working full time, part time, or even performing work as an independent contractor may be a violation of your obligation.This could result in losing your visa, deportation, and being banned from the United States.

What you’re referencing (setting up a service-based site that would be monetized) could be considered work. It wouldn’t matter whether you sent the money to a bank account outside of the United States or another person, you could still get into serious trouble.

To know exactly how setting up your website would affect your H-1B, talk with an immigration attorney. You should consider LawTrades. We are a legal marketplace and we offer a great service that we refer to as Micro. With this service, you get to ask an experienced immigration attorney a question for a flat-rate (usually just $25). You’ll get a response to your question within 48 hours. This would be a great way for you to find out if there is a legal way that you can honor your H-1B obligations while realizing your dream of a monetized website.

Legal is hard. Let’s tackle it together.

Speak to one of our Legal Pros and discover how we can help.

Let's Talk


There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment