My answer to What are the best ways to get US working visa for an entrepreneur?
Answer by Raad Ahmed:
It can be tough, but that is not to say that you do not have options. At the outset, keep in mind that the best option for you will depend on several different factors about your situation. For that reason, I would suggest that you speak with an immigration attorney to decide which option would be best. But, I will outline a few options here.
— the E2 visa is for investors looking to invest a substantial amount in a new or existing enterprise in the US. A couple points about the E2.
- The E2 is only open to investors from a country that has signed a relevant treaty with the US — here is a list.
- The amount invested must be substantial in relation to the enterprise as a whole
- The investor needs to prove that he or she will have an active role in the company
- The investor also needs to show that the investment will generate enough income to support a minimal living
— the EB-5 is another investment visa, but this one is permanent while the E2 is temporary. Because of the permanence, the requirements are a little harder to meet.
- The amount invested must be greater than $1 million (although in special situations this can be lowered to $500K)
- The investment must create or preserve at least 10 full-time jobs for US workers
- Here, there is no treaty requirement
Those two are visas that will allow an entrepreneur to invest their own money in a new or existing enterprise in the US and then come here to work on that enterprise. Another option would be to find an existing early stage startup in the US that will sponsor you as an employee and let them petition on your behalf for an employment visa. Here, you may qualify for an EB-2, EB-3, or maybe an H1-B. Again, whether you qualify will depend on many different factors and for that reason you should speak with an immigration attorney before going forward.
I hope this answered your question, but if you still have more questions or if you would like to speak with an immigration attorney about your visa application process, you should check out. Our legal platform has assisted hundreds of foreign-based individuals by connecting them with US immigration lawyers to complete the visa process. Visit us for a free consultation and/or a quick & easy price quote.