There are strict restrictions when it comes to employment while under F-1 visa status. Restrictions include:
- F-1 students MAY NOT work off campus during their first academic year. However, they may be able to work on campus based on certain conditions.
- After the first year, there are three off-campus options for employment. They include:
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
To answer your question, F-1 visa students aren’t allowed to “engage” in business, but they are not restricted from “establishing” a business. So in theory, you could start a business, but will not be able to operate it while you are under this status.
Immigration and business can be a tricky area of law. Please check out our website atto learn more about your options. We offer affordable legal services and are available to answer questions. Get in touch for an initial consultation.