An artist visa, also known as the O1B visa is a classified as a non-immigrant visa for individuals who have exceptional ability in the arts. However, this particular visa is also available for individuals who have showcased special achievements in motion picture or the television industry. Extraordinary ability is defined as achieving national and/or international recognition for your skills and abilities. It’s important for people to understand that there are specific requirements that must be met to meet the guidelines for this visa.
Step 1: O1 Visa Requirements
As mentioned, you must be sure that you can demonstrate exceptional ability in the arts. Of course, there is some room for interpretation here, but there are some guidelines to follow. You can prove your extraordinary ability by either winning a variety of awards and prizes or other forms of distinction. If you believe you’ve demonstrated unique ability, then you should gather all of you supporting documents for your visa lawyer to review.
Additionally you must make sure that you meet the following requirements:
- Your intent must be to come and work in the arts field
- Your employment must qualify as an “event”
- Your application must be filed by an employer, agent, or foreign employer via a US agent
- You must include an advisory opinion from a peer group, labor organization or management organization
- Include all relevant documents (resume, CV, awards, passport, etc.).
Step 2: Understand the Benefits of O1B Visa
Be aware of the many benefits of being an O1B visa holder. Benefits of an artist visa include:
- You can live and work in the US while the visa is valid
- There is no cap on extensions
- You may work for more than one employer
- O1-B is a dual-intent visa so you may also apply for a green card later
- You spouse and children 21 years old or younger may come to the US with you
Step 3: Hire a Visa Lawyer
Like most critical documents, it’s always a good idea to consult a visa lawyer for help with your artist visa application. They can identify whether or not you qualify and what supporting documentation you should include. It could save considerable time and money hiring a professional to help you through the process.
Online Legal Services
LawTrades is a marketplace of freelance attorneys. We connect clients with the best lawyer for their needs. Our immigration attorneys are among the most skilled and they are already fully vetted and have years of experience. We also offer legal plans that are a subscription-based service. For one rate you can get unlimited legal consultations and a $0 service fee. You can opt for the time commitment that is most convenient for you.