What you need to know about
Use this accounting contract to retain the services of a professional accountant.
- Hiring an accountant
- Clarifying the terms of service and conditions applied to an accountant-client relationship
If you own a business or just need help with the family finances, you may want to consider hiring an accountant. However, whenever you hire a service professional, you must ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to expectations and conditions for the job. Whether you are hiring an accountant for your home or your business, you can use this step-by-step form to create an accounting contract that fits your needs.
Accountants can provide several helpful financial services. An accountant can provide you with advice regarding your finances and tax situation as well as keep records for you. Accountants are typically experts at tax issues, so they can help you figure out how to manage your finances in compliance with applicable tax laws. Accountants can also manage a tax audit brought by the IRS or state division of taxes, but any potential legal liability under tax laws should be discussed in consultation with an attorney.
Accountants can help you get organized and remain compliant with all financial and tax-related regulations. Sometimes accountants are helpful when you are trying to secure a loan or develop a financial plan for your home or business, so if you are considering hiring an accountant use this interactive form to create an agreement that will create the framework for a successful accountant-client relationship.
Preview of Accounting Contract
This Accounting Contract (this “Agreement”) is made and entered into on _______________, 20____ (the “Effective Date”) by and between ________________________ (“Accountant”) and ___________________ (“Client”). Accountant and Client collectively referred to herein as the “Parties”, and are sometimes referred to individuals as a “Party”.
Accountant is duly licensed in the state of _______________________ as a certified public accountant.
Client desires to retain Accountant to perform certain accounting services and Accountant wishes to perform certain accounting services for Client pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the foregoing, the parties agree as follows:
Scope of Work. Subject to the terms and conditions herein, Accountant agrees to provide the services as fully described on Exhibit A (the “Services”).
The term of this Agreement shall commence on the date of this Agreement or upon receipt of relevant documents as requested from Accountant, whichever date is later.
The term shall remain in effect until the service required hereunder have been completed satisfactorily by Accountant unless sooner terminated as provided in this Agreement.
Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time with _______ day’s written notice to the other party.
Price and Payment Terms.
The agreed upon rate for the Services shall be $______________ per hour.
Request for payments from the Accountant shall be sent by invoice to the Client, which each such invoice shall be due and payable within ____ (____) days from the invoice date.
- Invoices that are not paid when due will bear interest on the outstanding balance at the rate of _______ percent (_____%) per month.
- All returned checks will be assessed the maximum fees allowed by law for NSF checks.
In addition to the fees specified above, Client will reimburse Accountant or any incidental costs and expenses Accountant incurs in performing Services for Client under this Agreement, including, but not limited to, photocopying and related expenses, shipping and mailing charges, document filing fees, other government fees, notary fees, and similar expenses. Costs and expenses will be billed to Client on a monthly basis and will be due and payable within ____________________ days thereafter.
Status of the Accountant; Limitation on Authority.
The Accountant shall act under this Agreement as an independent contractor and not as Client’s agent or employee.
Accountant’s employees, if any, who perform services for the Accountant under this Agreement shall also be bound by the provision of this Agreement.
The Accountant shall not have the right, power or authority to enter into agreements or incur liability on behalf of the Client except as expressly set forth in this Agreement. Any action taken by the Accountant which is not expressly permitted by this Agreement shall not bind the Client.
Cooperation. The Accountant is hereby authorized to communicate with the Client’s custodian of records regarding the Client's account and other relevant financial data. The Client takes sole responsibility for the acts or omission of its custodian and will have by the effective dates of this Agreement instructed its custodian and will instruct any future custodian of the Client to provided the Accountant with custodians reports and other information of the Client that the Accountant requires or perform the Services. The Client will provide the Accountant with true and complete information necessary for timely receipt of complete Client data.
Confidentiality. Accountant recognizes and acknowledges that (i) in the performance of the Services, it may come in contact with certain Client confidential information and (ii) the unauthorized use or disclosure of Client confidential information would cause substantial and irreparable harm to Client. Accountant agrees that Accountant shall not, directly or indirectly, disclose or use any Client confidential information except as necessary in order to perform the Services pursuant to this Agreement.
- Governing Law. This Agreement shall be construed under and in accordance with the laws of the State of _________.
- Binding Effect. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective successors and assigns. Nothing contained herein shall confer any rights or benefits upon any person other than the parties hereto and their respective heirs, successors and assigns.
- Entire Agreement. This Agreement contains the full and entire agreement between the parties hereto regarding the subject matter hereof, and all prior oral or written understandings or agreements between the parties with respect to this Agreement are hereby canceled as of the date hereof.
- Amendment. This Agreement shall not be amended or altered in any manner unless such amendment or alteration is in writing and signed by the parties hereto.
- Waiver. A waiver of a specific default shall not be a waiver of any other or subsequent default. No waiver by a party of any provisions hereof shall constitute a waiver of any other matter, and all waivers shall be in writing and executed by an officer of the waiving party. No failure on the part of any party to exercise, and no delay in exercising, any right or remedy hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof.
- Severability. In the event any provision of this Agreement is invalidated or unenforceable for any reason whatsoever, Client and Accountant hereby agree that this Agreement shall, except as to such invalidated or unenforceable provision, continue to be in full force and effect.
- Assignment. The rights or duties of Accountant under this Agreement shall not be assigned or delegated without the prior written consent of Client.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties have caused this Agreement to be executed as of the Effective Date first written above.
Description of the Services
Accounting Contract Checklist
Make It Legal™
Find out next steps for your document
___Review Carefully. Look over the document carefully to ensure it matches your intentions. It is legally binding.
___Sign the Agreement. This document needs to be signed by both parties. Electronic signatures are acceptable.
___Distribute Copies. Fully executed and compiled copies of the document should be provided to both parties.
Disclaimer: It is strongly advised to have your Agreement reviewed or advised on by an attorney before entering into a legal relationship with another party. To speak with a lawyer about this agreement or any other legal need, please visit LawTrades.com.