J-1 Visa Lawyers

Work with a J-1 Visa lawyer and educate yourself in the United States.


The J-1 Visa classification, through the Exchange Visitors Program, is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing; studying; observing; conducting research; consulting; demonstrating special skills; receiving training; or attending graduate medical education or training. A J-1 Visa lawyer can assist you in the application process.  This nonimmigrant visa is widely used by students and professors who are accepted to approved study and work-based visitor programs. To be eligible for the J-1 student visa a substantial portion of your financial support (at least 50% of your total funding) must be from a source other than personal or family funds. This may be scholarship, fellowship or assistantship from an external funding source, your home government, a corporate sponsor, among others. Students with only personal or family funding are not eligible for J-1 status.

Benefits of legal advice

Increase chance of obtaining a J-1 Visa 

Because immigration law is complex, there’s a greater chance you’ll overlook something, as opposed to an affordable immigration lawyer who handles these matters for a living. Don’t risk it. A J-1 Visa lawyer may be able to streamline and successfully expedite the process.

Get more options 

A J-1 Visa lawyer will be able to confirm you’re applying for the most viable visa. Also, legal advice can provide you with the necessary steps to prolong your stay.

Have an attorney to turn to 

There’s a good chance you’re going to like your J-1 Visa attorney from LawTrades and want to keep using him / her. By setting up that relationship for a visa, you have a legal expert to turn to when in need.


Is employment required for individuals on a J-1 visa?

A portion of J-1 nonimmigrants enter the United States specifically to work, but others do not. Employment is authorized for J-1 nonimmigrants only under the terms of the exchange program; J-1 visa holders are strictly prohibited from accepting any employment in the U.S outside of their training/internship.

Is an interview required for the visa process?

Applicants between the ages of 14 and 79 are required to complete an interview at the consular embassy section. Applicants 13 and younger or 80 and older do not require interviews, unless required by the embassy or consulate.

How long may a J-1 holder participate in practical training after completing a degree program?

The length of time varies depending on the degree awarded. If the visa holder received a baccalaureate/ master's degree then s/he may enter Academic Training (AT) for a maximum period of 18 months, while post-doctoral individuals can receive practical training for a maximum period of 36 months.

What is a Request for Evidence (RFE)?

An RFE is made when the USCIS determines that an application needs additional documentation / evidence to determine an applicant's eligibility for the benefit sought. The request will indicate what evidence or information is needed for authorities to fully evaluate an application or petition. The The J-1 Visa lawyers on LawTrades are available for hosting businesses and applicants who need assistance answering an RFE.

Are family members of a J-1 visa holder entitled to a visa?

Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age are entitled to J-2 classification. Your spouse and children are entitled to work authorization, but their income may not be used to support a J-1 visa holder.
Have Questions?
Talk to a LawTrades Expert
(646) 781-7197

Next Steps:

Let's get started with your project.
LawTrades is a BBB Accredited Business
Copyright © 2017 LawTrades Inc. All Rights Reserved.