Archives of #Q&A

Where Can I Find Good Templates for Founder Agreements?

While it is possible to find just about anything on the Internet, including already-to-sign co-founder agreement, you’d be wise to consult an attorney before deciding on which document you’ll use.  State laws and industry-specific legislation could make these generic agreements inadequate for your purposes. Plus, different business structures will have their own particular restrictions as […]

What Will Happen if I don’t include a Privacy Policy on my Website?

Just so that you are aware, the privacy policy basically states what you plan to do with information that is not publicly available (which included IP address, JavaScript status, flash version, etc.). If you plan on selling your customers information, then just be upfront and state so in your policy. It may send a few […]

The Mystery Behind a Delaware Corp

If you ask 10 entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley where they’re incorporated, I bet you that 9/10 will say that they’re incorporated in Delaware. At LawTrades, we always get asked why attorneys recommend Delaware. Delaware is a completely random state but here’s why it’s a popular choice for entrepreneurs and investors. Convenience Delaware is an easy […]

What Is the Legal Documentation Needed to Start a Web Startup?

You’ll want to form your business. Either an LLC, C-Corp or S-Corp for most web startups. Get your post incorporation documents in order if you ever plan on taking investors and/or hiring people. This includes stuff like bylaws, initial board consent, restricted stock purchase agreement, confidential information and assignment agreements etc. Decide whether you want […]

What is a Convertible Note?

The climate is improving for startups as many things change in favor of entrepreneurs. One of the most important circumstances fueling startup growth in recent years is the rise of the convertible note, which is now the most popular form of seed financing. Below we’ll look at what a convertible note is, and why companies […]

Does a Non-U.S. Citizen Need an ITIN to Obtain an EIN for a Company?

Not necessarily. First, which type of corporate structure are you looking at: C-corp, LLC or S-corp? Second, are you a resident or nonresident alien? Are you an immigrant or do you have some other legal residency status in the US? Third, do you have US co-founders? Fourth, are you working with a US attorney or […]

Can I Start a Company If I’m in the U.S. on a Student F1 Visa?

It depends. Since you’re interested in starting a company, You’ll also might want to work for it. Starting a business and working for it are two entirely separate legal issues. The most important thing you need to know is these separate activities – starting a company on the one hand and working for it on the other – involve […]